Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Marijuana Legalization

I will be looking at the movement to legalize marijuana. I want to look at history, medicinal marijuana, and personal use. This movement has outspoken supporters from all walks of life which I feel will make it an interesting study. Marijuana legalization could be seen as a redistribution issue as the supporters want a reformation of the current U.S (and global) Drug Policy. It could also be seen as redistribution through recognition, as both recreational and medical users would like for its use to be acknowledged as acceptable behavior. I'm excited to be able to discuss this movement in a mature setting because I realize it sometimes seems to be one that is not taken seriously. I'm welcome to any suggestions.

Down below, I've posted the link to NORML's website. They are probably the biggest organization in the Marijuana Legalization movement. Under that is a video clip from the 1989 Madison Harvest Fest, a pro-legalization rally held annually in the Midwest. It's a little old, but it features an appearance from the U of I chapter of NORML.

www.norml.org

1 comment:

Sersa Victory said...

Some amazing resources on the history of marijuana prohibition is the book "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer.

Also check out Jello Biafra's spoken word CD "No More Cocoons," specifically his piece called "Grow More Pot." I can send it to you as an mp3 if you like.

Take care and control!